First of all, we hope this never happens, but it likely will at some point which is why we're prepared for it.
During the update process we take every precaution to eliminate the possibility of a bad plugin update taking your site down. That doesn't guarantee a plugin can't create an obscure problem that we can't detect easily. That's why all our plans take regular backups in case you find an issue and need to roll your website back to an earlier backup point.
During the update process for your website, we have a process that helps us determine if an update went okay.
Here's the process:
- We create a restore point so we can roll back the site if necessary.
- Test to make sure we receive a 200 OK response from your website, if not then we stop the update.
- Grab a before screenshot of your website.
- Update core, plugins, and/or themes to the newest version.
- Send another test to make sure we receive a 200 OK to determine if your website still works. If not then we roll back the site to the backup point.
- Grab an after screenshot of your website.
- Analyze the before/after screenshots to make sure nothing looks off.